Mumbai: At least three people have died and over 60 people were taken ill after Chlorine gas leaked from cylinders in south Mumbai’s Sewri area in the wee hours on Wednesday, a fire brigade official said.
The gas leakage was reported in the vicinity of Lal Bahadur Shastri college at 0400 hours on Wednesday morning, the official said.
“Following the complaint, our men rushed to the spot to plug the leakage. However, four of our men also took ill and have been rushed to nearby hospitals,” Uday Tatkare, Chief Fire Officer, said.
Around 59 persons have been rushed to nearby JJ hospital. Further probe is on as to what led to the leakage, the official said.
As a precautionary measure, people residing in and around the area have been evacuated, the official said.