Home / Featured / Kashmir raging: 4th civilian death in 24 hours

Kashmir raging: 4th civilian death in 24 hours

Srinagar: A teenager was shot dead in Srinagar on Tuesday evening, taking the number of people killed in firing by security forces in the last 24 hours to four.

Abrar Ahmad, 14, was killed when security forces fired at a mob in Maisuma area as people in hundreds came out to join the funeral procession of a 25-year old woman killed in the firing in Danderkhah area of the city in Batmaloo earlier.

A woman was killed earlier in the day when she was hit by a stray bullet in Batmaloo, Srinagar, after security forces fired in the air to disperse a mob which had attacked a police building after torching a welfare centre.

The 25-year-old woman was hit while she was looking out of her window of her home, said senior police officials after a preliminary information. The mob had earlier attacked a welfare centre.

Before that fresh violence erupted in Srinagar after a 30-year-old man died of a bullet injury in a clash with security forces. Fayaz Ahmad Wani, a government employee, was killed and two people were injured when security forces opened fire to disperse a mob protesting the drowning of a teenager after he was chased by troopers Monday.

“Wani sustained a bullet injury in the neck and succumbed to injuries in a hospital. Two other persons injured in the incident are being treated,” a police officer said.

The police and paramilitary forces, struggling to control protests over the drowning of 17-year-old Muzaffar Ahmad, opened fire as hundreds in Batamaloo in the west of Srinagar took to the streets on Tuesday after police fished out the teenager’s body from a stream.

Some protestors attacked the security forces with stones.

Bhat’s family and neighbours said he had jumped into the stream on Monday when the paramilitary Central Reserve Police Forces (CRPF) personnel were chasing a group of demonstrators protesting against the visit of Minister of State for Housing Nasir Aslam Wani to the area.

Hundreds of mourners carrying the two bodies later tried to march towards Eidgah grounds in Old Srinagar to bury them in a common graveyard where thousands, killed in the ongoing 20-year-old separatist war, are buried.

Fearing the march may ignite more violent protests, security forces used canes and tear smoke to stop the procession. They took away the two bodies for an autopsy in a police hospital.

The bodies were later handed over to their families and asked to bury them in a local graveyard in Batamallo.

CRPF personnel baton charged some media persons, injuring five of them. Those injured include Tauseef Mustafa of AFP and Farooq Javaid Khan. They were taken to a hospital.

“Khan has a head injury and Mustafa has suffered a fracture,” said a sobbing Javed Dar, their colleague.

Journalists covering the procession in Batamaloo alleged that security forces beat them while they were discharging professional duties.

The latest deaths led to fresh tension in Srinagar that has been under strict curfew after a fresh wave of violent protests rocked the Muslim-dominated Kashmir Valley last month.

Eleven people, mostly teenagers, have been killed in firing by security forces since June 11 when a 17-year-old student, Tufail Mattoo, died after being hit by a police teargas shell.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>