Home / News / CWG: 80% probability of terror attack?

CWG: 80% probability of terror attack?

Sydney: A new security risk assessment report has indicated that there is an eighty per cent chance that the Delhi Commonwealth Games (CWG), beginning on October 3, will come under some form of terror attack, putting athletes and officials in the firing line.

The report, prepared by private counter-terrorism and security consultants Homeland Security Asia-Pacific, identified improvised explosive devices (IEDs) and terror strikes on the CWG Games’ convoys as the biggest threats, reports News.com.au.

“After preliminary examination of the layout of Delhi Games venues and facilities, it would still be easier and more likely for an attack to be staged in an area close to, but not in, the actual Games precinct. Such a bombing, using an IED or VIED, would generate the same massive propaganda results worldwide as bombing a venue, or the Games Family Hotel,” the report said.

One of the report authors, counter-terrorism expert and security consultant- Roger Henning- said the biggest threat to athletes would be while travelling by road ‘from the airport to the village and from the village to the venues’.

“This is when they will be at their most vulnerable outside the security nets that have been set up,” he said.

Pointing out that in a densely populated city like Delhi the opportunity for a terrorist strike in the city’s choking traffic and among homogenous crowds is obvious, he said, “Facial recognition and biometric systems typically fail in mass humanity situations.”

“A huge amount of human resources have been thrown at security for the Games and the American, British and Australian intelligence have been helping the Indians,” he noted, adding that Australians – with Britons and Canadians – could be specifically targeted by Islamic terrorists because of their nations’ support in the Afghanistan war.

Henning also accused the Australian government and sports officials of not taking security threats during the Delhi Games seriously enough.

However, Australian Commonwealth Games Association CEO- Perry Crosswhite-claimed the risks in Delhi had been over-emphasised by the media.

“The Indian authorities have done an immense amount of work on security at the Games and I have a lot of confidence in the steps they have taken,” he said.

“We are confident the Indian Government is putting in every effort into ensuring a safe Games,” said Australia’s Sports Minister Mark Arbib.

While up to 550 Australian athletes and officials prepare to leave for the Games this week, Indian security officials have said they cannot guarantee the safety of tourists and have flagged the use of armoured vehicles and unmanned aircraft as security measures.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>

Pinterest