New Delhi: Union Home Minister P Chidambaram on Wednesday appealed for peace and calm ahead of the verdict in the Ram Janambhoomi-Babri Masjid title dispute case. Chidambaram warned the media and all interested parties against rushing into hasty conclusions about the verdict that will decide who owns the 2.77 acres of disputed land on which Babri Masjid, which was demolished on December 6, 1992, stood.
“The judgement of the Ayodhya dispute is going to be delivered on September 24. It will be inappropriate to reach hasty conclusions. I would request all parties concerned including media to reserve their opinions and not make any hasty pronouncements,” said Chidambaram while addressing a press conference in New Delhi.
“I would ask organisations to urge their members not to make provocative statements or spread rumours. The Government’s earnest request is that all sections of society will help in maintaining peace, order, harmony and tranquility. No one needs to have any apprehensions,” he said.
He said that it would be inappropriate to reach any hasty conclusion that one side had won and the other side lost after the verdict had been pronounced.
He added that it was possible that there would be one or more judgements delivered by the three-judge Lucknow bench of Allahabad High Court.
A three-judge bench comprising of Justice SU Khan, Justice Sudhir Agarwal and Justice DV Sharma will deliver the verdict at 3:30 PM on September 24.