Actor Shah Rukh Khan, who has been under fire from the Shiv Sena for favouring Pakistani players in the Indian Premier League (IPL), on Saturday said he didn’t owe an apology to the party but was not seeking a “confrontation” either.
“I do not want any confrontation. I am trying to explain myself on every platform,” said Khan at a press conference in Mumbai.
The Shiv Sena has threatened to ban Khan’s new film, My Name Is Khan, in Mumbai theatres for his remarks and sought an apology from him. Posters and banners of the movie have been torn.
“I stand by what I have said. Maybe that group (Shiv Sena) has misunderstood what I have said.”
Khan urged that his “views” on cricket be separated from his film. “If my view can be kept separate from my film’s view, I will be very thankful. I would really like if it can be disassociated,” he said.
The actor said he didn’t believe that he was being “targeted” because he is a Muslim but felt that his patriotism had been questioned.
“My daughter asked me whether we would have to leave India. That made me very sad,” said Khan, who owns the IPL team, Kolkota Knight Riders.