New Delhi: Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit on Tuesday refuted allegations of diversion of SC/ST funds for the 2010 Commonwealth Games (CWG) project.
“There has not been any diversion of funds from SC/ST Welfare Schemes,” said Dikshit.
It has been reported that a recent query by a Right to Information activist showed that the Delhi Government allegedly diverted Rs 744 crore from Special Component Plan for SC/ST to Games projects, thereby flouting the guidelines set up by the Planning Commission.
Earlier on Tuesday, the Rajya Sabha was adjourned till 2 pm following uproar by the Opposition over alleged diversion of funds by the Delhi Government for Commonwealth Games.
The Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) disrupted proceedings in Parliament alleging diversion of funds meant for SC/ST for the Commonwealth Games projects, with Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) alleging that there was ‘bungling’ in organising the sporting event.
As soon as Rajya Sabha met for the day, BSP members were on their feet to raise diversion of funds by the Delhi Government demanding immediate discussion on the issue.
Vice-President and Rajya Sabha Chairman Mohammad Hamid Ansari asked the members not to disrupt the Question Hour and take up the issue through a call attention notice.
“This is incorrect. Please give a call attention notice and it will be admitted. Do not disrupt the proceedings,” said Ansari.
“The Chair appreciates the concern you want to raise,” he added asking the Opposition to give notice for a structured debate to which the government can reply.
Senior BJP leader and Rajya Sabha Leader of Opposition Arun Jaitley demanded a discussion on the issue immediately.